Diversity at William James College
William James College is an institution and a community committed to the principles of excellence, fairness and respect for all people. As part of this commitment, we have a responsibility to provide and sustain multiple cultures, to encourage scholarship and knowledge, and to demonstrate our commitment to fair and equal access to higher education. While the concept of diversity encompasses acceptance and respect, it is also about moving beyond simple tolerance to embrace and celebrate diversity.
Diversity includes incorporation of multiple voices, recognition of the value of difference, and inclusion of groups that experience discrimination or under representation. This includes a prohibition against discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital or parental status, veteran status, or socio-economic/class status. Our equal opportunity commitment affirmatively protects all staff, students, alumni and applicants ensuring that all decisions whether employment or academic, are based on the unique contributions each member can make to our community.
In the tradition of William James, who championed diversity and access to education across race and gender lines.
- the richness of commonalities and differences we share as a college community;
- the intrinsic value of all who work and study here;
- the vital importance of each member of our community having the freedom to be wholly themselves in the context of our environment;
- that our work is enhanced by investigation of and reflection upon multiple perspectives.
Our mission is to: Promote a diverse and inclusive environment to achieve superior institutional and academic results. Toward these ends, we will make every effort to:
- ensure that we have an environment that welcomes, supports, and values all members of our community;
- support the ability of all members of our community to meet their educational and professional potential;
- ensure that open communication exists to address any concerns related to diversity and inclusion;
- effectively prepare clinician-leaders for a pluralistic world.
Read about some of our recent students events and experience our Juneteenth Celebration through our video:
Diversity in Action at William James College
William James College hosted two great student events that explored diversity through art and conversation. Read more here.
Juneteenth Celebration, June 19, 2017
William James College held its first annual Juneteenth Celebration in 2017 with guest speaker, Dr. Shani Dowd, spoken word, music, personal reflections, and delicious food.