Robin M. Deutsch, PhD, ABPP
- Director, Center of Excellence for Children, Families and the Law
- Faculty, Clinical PsyD Program
- Associate Professor
- PhD, Counseling Psychology, MS Counseling and Guidance, BA University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Clinical Seminar 2
- Divorce Custody Evaluation
- Intimate Partner Violence
- Child Maltreatment
- Parenting Coordination
Research and Practice Interests
- Effects of High Conflict Divorce on Children and Families
- Interventions for Parent-Child Contact Problems
- Attachment and Development
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- Psychology license in Massachusetts and Vermont
- American Board of Professional Psychology- Couple and Families
- APA Karl F. Heiser Presidential Award for Advocacy, 2006
- APA Practice Directorate Appreciation Award, 2009
Publications and Presentations
Judge, A. M. & Deutsch, R.M. (2017). Overcoming Parent-child Contact Problems: Family Interventions for Resistance, Rejection & Alienation. New York: Oxford University Press.
Pruett, M.K., Deutsch, R.M., & Drozd, L. (2016). Considerations for Step-Up parenting. In L. Drozd, M. Saini, & N. Olesen (Eds). Parenting Plan Evaluations: Applied Research for the Family Courts. New York: Oxford University Press.
Deutsch, R.M. and Clyman, J. (2016). Impact of Mental Illness on Parenting Capacity in a Child Custody Matter. Family Court Review, 54 (1), 29-38.
Seamone, E.R. & Deutsch, R.M. (2014). Guest Editors’ Introduction. Family Court Review, 52 (3), 334-343.
Deutsch, R. M. (2014). Parenting Coordination: Basic approaches and strategies. In S. A. Higuchi and S.J. Lally (Eds), Parenting Coordination Handbook (pp. 63-75). Washington DC: American Psychological Association.
Deutsch, R. & Lally, S. (2014). Ethical Issues and Risk Management in Parenting Coordination. In S. A. Higuchi and S.J. Lally (Eds.), Parenting Coordination Handbook (pp.93-107). Washington DC: American Psychological Association.
Lally, S. & Deutsch, R. (2014). Competencies Required for Individuals Conducting Parenting Coordination. In S. A. Higuchi and S.J. Lally (Eds.), Parenting Coordination Handbook (pp. 43-63). Washington DC: American Psychological Association.
Keynote Speaker, Development of Children’s Memories as a Tool to Assist Credibility Assessments, New York Family Court Judges Master Class, New York, NY, October 28, 2016.
Keynote speaker, Difficult Clients: Who are they and what can we do?, 8th AFCC Ontario Annual Conference, Toronto, ON, October 21, 2016.
Presenter with Gabriela Misca, Parenting under Fire: Resilience in Children Growing Up in Military Families, 53rd AFCC Annual Conference, Seattle, WA, June 3, 2016.
Presenter with Marsha Kline Pruett and Leslie Drozd, Stepping up our Understanding of Parenting Plan Modifications, 53rd AFCC Annual Conference, Seattle, WA, June 2, 2016.
Invited Plenary Speaker with Marsha Kline-Pruett and Leslie Drozd. Understanding Parenting Plan Modifications, AFCC California Annual Conference, San Francisco, February 19, 2016.
Invited Pre-Conference Institute Presenter with Peggie Ward, Ph.D. and John Moran, Ph.D. Nuts and bolts of an intensive reunification intervention when a child resists a parent, AFCC 52nd Annual conference, New Orleans, LA, May 27, 2015.
Plenary panel participant, Protecting children from high conflict: New Initiatives, 18th Annual Family Law Conference, Boston, MA, April 10, 2015.
Keynote Speaker, Intimate partner violence: What is it and how does it affect children, parents and parenting? Family Services of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada, March 27, 2015
Plenary panel participant, Working across disciplines: Conversation from the custody evaluation and intimate partner task force. AFCC California Chapter Annual Conference, Costa Mesa, CA, February 7, 2015.
Invited Pre-Conference Institute Presenter with Matthew Sullivan and John Moran, Practical applications of intensive interventions for children who resist/refuse contact with a parent, AFCC California Chapter Annual Conference, Costa Mesa, CA, February 6, 2015.
Pre-conference Institute Speaker with William Austin, Gabrielle Davis, Leslie Drozd, Loretta Frederick, Arnold Sheinvold, Nancy Ver Steegh, Sometimes things aren’t what they seem: Child custody evaluation in the context of coercive-controlling intimate partner violence, AFCC California Chapter Annual Conference, Costa Mesa, CA, February 6, 2015.
Keynote Speaker, Parenting Plans: What are the controversies? New York State Bar Association, Family Law Section, New York, New York, January 29, 2015.
Moderator, The Activities and roles of consultants: How many is too many? AFCC Symposium on Custody Evaluations, San Antonio, TX, November 7, 2014.
Presenter, Children resisting contact with a parent: Application of intensive interventions. AFCC Symposium on Custody Evaluations, San Antonio, TX, November 7, 2014.
Keynote Speaker, The New Normal: Is This Shared Parenting? Kids First Conference, Freeport, Maine, October 17, 2014.
Invited Presentation with Mira Brancu, Ph.D., Scott Hunter, Ph.D., Marc Martinez, Ph.D., Jorge Wong, Ph.D., Managing Risk Across the Career Lifespan—Know Your Guidelines. American Psychological Association, Washington DC, August 9, 2014.
Invited Preconference Institute with Barbara Fidler, PhD. And Tyler Sullivan, Family Interventions when children resist contact with a parent, AFCC 51st Annual Conference, Toronto, CA, May 28, 2014.
Invited Presentation, Getting divorced: Building a good foundation for the children, MCLE Family Law Conference, Boston, MA, April 11, 2014.
Invited Training, Pitfalls, Process, and Prescriptions, Advanced Strategies for Managing Parenting Coordination, AFCC and Loyola University School of Law , Chicago, Illinois, March 12, 13, 2014.
Invited Presentation with Mathew Sullivan, Ph.D., Alienation or visitation resistance, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Cancun, Mexico, March 7, 2014.
Invited Presentation, A View from the couch- The Effect of addiction on children and how to protect families, American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, Cancun, Mexico, March 6, 2014.
Invited workshop, Abuse, estrangement, or alienation?, Henry County Bar Association, Henry County, Ohio, February 28, 2014.
Current Professional Leadership and/or Concurrent Work Experience
- National Counsel of Juvenile and Family Court Judges National Custody Evaluation Project, 2016-2017
- American Board of Professional Psychology (ABPP), Couple and Family Specialization, Board of Directors, 2015-2019
Prior Professional Leadership and/or Work Experience
- AFCC Task Force on Guidelines for Examining Intimate Partner Violence: 2011-2016
- A Supplement to the AFCC Model Standards of Practice for Child Custody Evaluations
- APA Committee on Professional Standards (COPPS), Member, 2012-2015
- Governor’s Working Group on Massachusetts Divorce Custody Laws, Member, 2012-2013
- Overcoming Barriers, Founding Member and Board of Directors, 2008- 2016
- AFCC Task Force on Child Custody Consultants, Co-Chair, 2009-2011
- National Custody Demonstration Project Workgroup (Office of Violence against Women, Battered Women’s Justice Project, National Council of Juvenile and Family Court Judges, PRAXIS, AFCC, Consultant 2009-present
- APA Task Force to Develop Guidelines for the Practice of Parenting Coordination, 2008-2011
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC), Member, Board of Directors, 2006-2013
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC), President, 2008-200Ethics
- Committee, American Psychological Association, Member, 2005-2007
- Ethics Committee, American Psychological Association, Chair, 2007-2008
- American Psychological Association-American Bar Association,Working Group Psychological and Legal Interventions, Co-Chair, 2007-2009
- APA-ABA Working Group on Issues of Alleged Abuse, Neglect, and Endangerment, Co-Chair, 2007-2009, 2004-2009, 2001-2003
- American Bar Association Child Custody Pro Bono Project, Advisory Committee Member, 2005-2008
- Massachusetts Chapter of Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC), President, 2002-2003
- Ethics Committee, Massachusetts Psychological Association, Member, 2002-2005
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts (AFCC)
- Massachusetts Chapter of AFCC
- American Psychological Association (APA): member, Div. 12, 37, 41, 43
- Massachusetts Psychological Association
- Massachusetts Trial Court, Family Division: Interdisciplinary Settlement Conference pilot project development and volunteer
- Massachusetts Trial Court, Family Division Child Focused Settlement Conference volunteer
- Massachusetts Trial Court Committee: Screening domestic violence in the Probate and Family Courts of Massachusetts