Employment Opportunities for MA in Clinical Mental Health Counseling Graduates and LMHCs

Mental Health Counselors work in a wide range of settings. Among these are community mental health centers; hospitals and clinics; residential treatment centers; substance abuse treatment facilities; correctional centers; college and university counseling centers; employee assistance programs; managed behavioral health care organizations; government agencies; elder care facilities; and faith communities.

There are many employment opportunities in the Boston area and throughout the United States for qualified counselors. Once they have completed their post-master's work experience requirements and have passed the national licensing examination (known as the NCMHE), mental health counselors can also pursue independent practice. In Massachusetts, licensed mental health counselors are known as LMHCs.

For more information about getting a job in counseling, please visit the American Counseling Association Career Center page.

Mental Health Counselors held about 120,010 jobs in 2014*

* www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes211014.htm

93% of graduates obtained employment within 6 months of graduation, and an additional 5% obtained employment within 12 months for a total of 98%*

Advantages of a Graduate School Education at William James College

Job Outlook: Percent (%) Change in Employment for 2014-2024 Bureau of Labor Statistics
Marriage and Family Therapist Up 19%
Mental Health Counselor Up 19%
Substance Abuse & Behavioral Disorder Counselor Up 22%
Clinical, Counseling & School Psychologists Up 19%

US News & World Report Best Social Service Jobs US News Best Jobs Logo
School Psychologist No. 1
Marriage and Family Therapist No. 2
Substance Abuse & Behavioral Disorder Counselor No. 5
Mental Health Counselor No. 8

Median Salaries*

American Psychological Association Logo
US News Best Jobs Logo
Clinical Psychologist $94,590
School Psychologist $70,580
Mental Health Counselor $41,880
* Licensed mental health professionals have the opportunity for additional income through private practice.

Attend an Online Webinar

Attend an Online Webinar