Bruce Ecker, PhD
- Associate Professor Director, Concentration on Children and Families of Adversity and Resilience Project
- Director, BHWET and GPE (SAMHSA) Internship Training Grants
- MA/EdS, University of Minnesota, Educational Psychology and School Psychological Services
- PhD, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, Clinical Psychology
Numerous courses in clinical child and adolescent psychology as well as school psychology:
- Clinical Practice of Cognitive-Behavior Therapy for Child and Adolescent Disorders
- Introduction to the Clinical Care of Children and Families
- The Ecology of Child Behavioral Health: Prevention, Intervention and Public Policy
- Lifespan Development
- Advanced Social-Emotional Assessment of Children and Families
- Practicum in Advanced Assessment
Research and Practice Interests
- Evidence-Based Psychotherapy with Children, Adolescents and Families
- Consumer-Responsive Psychological Assessment
- Developmental Psychopathology
Professional Licenses and Certifications
- Licensed Psychologist, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Licensed Educational Psychologist, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Excellence in Teaching Award, William James College (MSPP), 2011
- Norbert Mintz Chair in Professional Psychology, William James College, 2014-2016
Publications and Presentations
Lichtenstein, R. & Ecker, B. (2017 anticipated) High Impact Assessment Reports: A Consumer-Responsive Approach. New York: Guilford Press.
Ecker, B. (2016, February) A Practical Model for Integrated School-Based Social-Emotional Assessment. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the National Association of School Psychologists, New Orleans, LA.
Ecker, B. (2016, January) Middle School Matters: Working with Students, Parents, Teachers and Administrators. Paper presented at conference, School Mental Health, sponsored by Cambridge Health Alliance and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA.
Lambert, S., Bennasar, M.C., Ecker, B., Rosowsky, E. & St. Louis, G. (2016, January) The Role of Mentoring in Attracting Doctoral Students to Work with Underserved Populations. Paper presented at the annual mid-winter meeting of the National Council of Schools of Professional Psychology, Atlanta, GA.
Ecker, B. (2015, November) What to Do When Treatment Fails: A Model for Action in Psychotherapy with Children and Adolescents. Grand Rounds Presentation, Department of Psychiatry, North Shore Medical Center, Salem, MA.
Current Professional Leadership and/or Concurrent Work Experience
- Member, Clinical Child and Pediatric Psychology Training Council
- Project Director, Graduate Psychology Education Grant, U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration, 2016-2019. Project Director of a $1,016,568 three-year federal grant that funds 31 WJC Consortium Internship positions. Responsible for all aspects of project administration.
- Project Director, Behavioral Health Workforce and Education and Training Grant, U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). Funds to support training of clinical child psychology doctoral students to work with underserved children, adolescents and transitional age youth in American Psychological Association-accredited internship sites, 2014-2017. Grant: $720,000.
Prior Professional Leadership and/or Work Experience
- Clinical and Educational Psychologist, independent practice, Springfield, MA. Evaluation, psychotherapy, and psychological, neuropsychological and educational assessment with children, adolescents, and their families. Also, consultation to schools, pediatricians and mental health agencies. 1/98-6/12
- Senior Child Psychologist and Program Supervisor, Psychiatric Youth Outpatient Service, Department of Psychiatry, Baystate Medical Center, Springfield, MA. Patient care, staff supervision, and program development within a multi-disciplinary child and adolescent clinic. Also, Director of Psychology Training and consultant in pediatric psychology to Holyoke Pediatric Associates, a large community pediatrics practice. Baystate Medical Center is a 700-bed tertiary care hospital affiliated with Tufts University School of Medicine. 9/92-1/98
- American Psychological Association
- National Association of School Psychologists
- Society for Research in Child Development
- Lecturer, Lemberg Children’s Center, Brandeis Unviersity
- Chair, Shutesbury MA School Committee (retired)